Complete

Monday, July 18, 2016

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

With "Pokemon Go!" being such a huge hit right now, I thought it would be fun to do a Pokemon theme for my classroom. I wasn't sure at first if it was something that my upcoming Kindergarteners would be interested in, until I was reminded by colleagues that I had some very Pokemon-obsessed kids in my class last year. (Oh how quickly we forget!)

There is little out there in the worldwide web that I could find that was Pokemon themed for a classroom. So, I created my own and decided to share it so others who are interested in "cashing in" on the Pokemon craze can have these resources too :)

The first thing a teacher needs is cute nameplates for student desks! I even downloaded the Pokemon font to use. It worked well for the numbers, but decided to go with a more "regular" font for the letters. This is Kindergarten after all... don't want to confuse anybody!

  Next comes the name tags. These will be places in to badge holders with kids to wear.

  
I needed new bathroom passes for this year too. In previous years when kids went to the bathroom they placed a little figurine on their desk, one for boys and one for girls. That helped me to see that someone was already in the bathroom (because I forget!). The little statues that I have been using are falling apart and this seemed like a good opportunity to "renovate" this idea. I created Pokemon bathroom passes. I will print these out and tape the girls' one to a pink cup and the boys' one to a blue cup. This will be my new visual to remind me that I already sent someone to the bathroom. Since I teacher Kindergarten I have two small bathrooms in my classroom. I will cut off the word "pass" on these, and then attach them to the bathroom doors as well.


This year I wanted to trade out the "junk" in my treasure box for some cool (and free for me!) coupons for the kids. In light of this year's Pokemon theme I decided to make Pokemon cards with prizes attached. Now kids can earn points and try to collect them all!
 
At our school we started doing a "Warrior Connect" each day. It's a way for the kids to check in first thing in the morning and gives us an idea of how everybody is doing. (It also gives the kids an opportunity to see how their teacher is feeling each morning!) It is supposed to be a 1-5 check in, with 1 being the worst and 5 the best. For Kindergarten I start with a 1-3 check in. So, I made a Pokemon themed poster to help the kids tell how they are feeling each morning.

 The thing that I am probably MOST stoked about is my Class Dojo (online classroom management tool) this year. I discovered that you can upload your own pictures to be used for the kids' avatars! Click on the "settings" icon in the top right corner of your class. Click on a student and then click on their avatar (like you are going to change it) From the drop down menu choose "Create new set". Then you can download whatever pictures you want. (And they don't even need to be Pokemon!) I went to the Pokemon Database and downloaded the pictures that I liked. I tried to choose ones that were small and cute, cause this is Kindergarten after all! And then I uploaded them all at once to ClassDojo. I now have 45 Pokemon characters in holding to assign my kids. And one of "prizes" they can earn is to change their Pokemon character (see above). 


Here is the link to download these materials: Pokemon Classroom Materials  If you want to use the Pokemon font you will need to download it to your computer. You can do that here: Pokemon Font

Enjoy!!!!





No comments: