Complete

Monday, March 16, 2015

Haupia Pi Day

This has been the first year that I have actually celebrated Pi Day. But hey, give me a break, I teach 5 and 6 year olds so my brain is focused on Dr. Seuss Day and Johnny Appleseed Day! Luckily for me, I have friends who a Pi Day enthusiasts! For my first Pi Day celebration I decided to make a Haupia Sweet Potato Pie. Doesn't that look delicious!


I have never made a three layer anything, so this task seemed a bit daunting. I was pleasantly surprised by how simple it actually was. The bottom layer is a graham cracker crust. It's just ground up graham cracker and melted butter! 


Once I put the crust in the oven it was time to move on to the next layer: the sweet potato. 
I have two large okinawan sweet potatoes in half and placed them in a pot to boil. You don't even need to peel them. Once they were boiled (and cooled) the skin peels right off!


I then mixed the mashed potato with brown sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, and some spices. This then went on top of the graham cracker crust and in to the oven.


Now it was time for the haupia. Mmmm mmmm. I love haupia! And now that I know how easy it is to make it is gonna be a regular in this household. All it takes is a can of coconut milk, sugar, and cornstarch. 


When the sweet potato was cooked and cooled I poured the haupia mixture on top and placed it in the fridge. 


All night and the next morning I thought about eating this magnificent pie. And it did not disappoint. It was fantastic and quite beautiful if I do say so myself!


Here is the recipe I used if you want to give it a try yourself. It is really easy, however it does take a couple hours total cause you need to cook and cool all the different layers. Definitely a weekend time dessert!








No comments: