Complete

Monday, October 27, 2008

Invasion

Aloha all! Do I have a story for you!

So this morning the school counselor for K-1 came in to do a lesson with the kids. Part of the lesson involved watching a video. As she talked with the kids, I got the tv ready. It was the first time I have used it all year and needed to make sure it was plugged in and ready to go. Well, as I reached to the top of the tv to grab the remote I noticed on the top a swarm of bugs. What kind of bugs you may ask? Well... they were baby praying mantises. And there were a ton! I left them be while the kids watched the video. Afterwards, while the kids went out to recess the counselor helped me get them outside. A few of the boys stayed around to help as well. After she left, and before recess ended I found the egg sack. It was on an extension cord that was on the bottom level of the tv stand. For the rest of the morning we kept finding little "friends" all over the place.

When I told my story at lunch one of the other K teachers gave me a book about a kid who has a praying mantis and while the family is away all the eggs hatch, but the lid to the terrarium was off, so they were all over the house! We sure could relate. The kids were really able to use their schema then! (Note: If you don't know what schema is, look it up... My Kindergarteners know what that word means so you should too!)

It was a very eventful day to say the least, and hopefully that will be the end to our infestation.

No comments: