Complete

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Keahou

Today I went to the first seminar of Kahua, which is a component of the teaching induction program that focuses on Hawaiian culture. I did the orientation 2 day part during my fall break, and really liked, and enjoyed today just as much. Though it was a loooong day. It started at about 7:30 and went to 4. That's actually a little less for a normal work day for me, but it's different when you are the listening the whole time I guess....

The seminar took place at the Keahou Resort. It was so beautiful there. We had breakfast and did our morning protocol which involves going outside and doing a chant to welcome the sun. After some indoor stuff, we went outside and walked through the tidepools and learned about the history of the land. There were these stone walls forming squares that were built in 1200AD! That's pretty heavy (No pun intended!)

Afterwards was lunch, and I ate sooo much!!!! There was salad, macaroni salad,pasta, bread, rice, chicken, fish, and vegetables. And when I went back for more there was poke!!!! My favorite!!!!! Mmmmm. And for dessert there was bread pudding, which was the best bread pudding I had ever had! After eating a full meal, these two teachers presented a restoration project that they do there with their classes, and they had the lights turned off because there was a slideshow going on at the same time they were talking. Well, when you add a full stomach and a dark room, only one thing can happen.... sleep! I think I nodded off a few times, but I sure felt rested afterwards!

All in all it was a great learning experience. I enjoy taking part of different Hawaiian customs at these seminars. I hope to learn a lot more as the year goes on.

No comments: